Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Oh my.

Wed. morning update: I called Patrick at 8 this morning. He did not have to go into surgery last night, he doesn't know anything else yet. He's very tired and hungry (he hasn't eaten since 3 pm Monday. Hopefully I'll hear more later today.


I got a call from Patrick (my son) while at work this afternoon. "Mom, I messed up my leg playing soccer last night (he plays on two intramural teams) I'm not sure if it's broken."

So a couple of calls back and forth with updates. Yes, he has indeed broken his fibula. By getting kicked. He spent a majority of the day at the WSU clinic, and they noted that the capillary pressures in his leg were elevated to a degree that they weren't comfortable with. They transferred him to the hospital in Pullman, where they are monitoring him overnight. If the pressure goes too high, they will be performing emergency surgery.

I really want to be able to go and sit with him, but I can't. Work is such that I can't be gone right now, we don't have anyone to cover for me. Patrick is actually a really healthy, athletic kid - he has never had a broken bone, never been in the hospital except for when he was born. Right now, we are just checking in on him by phone. I did speak with the orthopedic surgeon tonight, and, after checking him out on the internet, -don't we all love Google!! - it turns out he had played football for the Cougars for a few years in the 80's, got hurt a few times too many, and decided to go into medicine. He graduated with his MD from UW, and is the football team doctor for both WSU and Univ. of Idaho. I think Patrick is in great hands, I'm just hoping the pressure will go down and he can skip surgery and the resulting scars and rod in his leg.

Wow.

Knitting - finished my humongo Noni bag tonight - got the rings for the handle on, and zipper is sewn it. I wanted to get purse feet for it tonight, but obviously I had other pressing matters to attend to. Hopefully tomorrow night. I plan to use this bag this weekend!

4 comments:

Macoco said...

I hope everything is okay with your son! He broke his leg getting kicked? That is scary!

amy said...

oh no, i hope he made it through the night ok and sugery is not necessary! i know it must be hard for you not to be there. this past week has not been the easiest for you, you are in my thoughts, keep me posted.

Anonymous said...

Sure hope you get to see your son soon -- and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome for the broken leg. Soccer!! My kids went into soccer instead of football 'cause I thought it was less brutal. Hmmmm... Maybe not so much! One son came away with a broken arm and stress fractures in both feet.

Anonymous said...

Tibia, not fibula