Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I'm feeling a tad warm....

Not that I'm complaining or anything, but boy is it hot!! Temperature inside right now is 97.9. Our outside thermometer is currently in the sun, so it has pegged at 130. Yeah, I know I'm still alive, so I think that one is not quite accurate.

I finished the shawl in Koigu, but it hasn't been blocked yet. It looks quite pretty though, and when it's not quite so wool inappropriate out, I'll really enjoy it.


Yarn: 5 different skeins of Koigu KPPPM

Needles: size 6 (I think - I already put it away!)

Cast on 7/5/07, finished 7/8/07


The pattern instructs you to knit until there are 195 stitches on the needles for the scarf version. Since I was doing a color work idea (1, 2+1, 2, 3+2, 3, 4+3, 4, 5+4, 5), I made it bigger. I did two pattern repeats with color 1, then worked 2 rows with color 2, and 2 rows with color 1. I continued on in this manner until I had done two more repeats, then dropped out color 1, continued on with color 2 and so on. At the last repeat with color 5, I worked only one repeat, and then worked the edging with color 5 so that the amount of color would balance out. I'm planning on making another one of these very soon but in Sea Silk (Popsicle colorway), and a size 4 ( or 5? or 6? - I'll play with it) needle.

Ever have an "oh-oh" moment with your knitting?
Here's a very nice Blue Sky Organics Alpaca Sweater from Fall 2006 Interweave. It's the same issue with Evelyn's Swallowtail pattern and the really cool yoked neck fair isle sweater (on the cover)that I knit. Yep, nice sweater, nice pattern. All is good. Except for this:









These would be some pretty ceramic buttons. Handmade buttons. Made by the mother of Debbie Abrams (of Rowan fame). I bought them last summer when Debbie was at our shop teaching a workshop. Crum bum. I absentmindedly threw it in the dryer for 5 minutes to "fluff" it up. Don't do this with ceramic buttons. You will not be happy. At all.



These will be the replacement buttons. I don't plan on any future fluffing of the sweater.

I started a new adventure bag this weekend. The pattern says that it's huge, I feel that I personally need to experience how huge it really is. I would like it to be large enough to comfortably use as a weekend bag, as my usual weekend bag is quite floral and 1980ish looking. Here's a peek at the start of what I hope will be a monstrosity.


Stay cool!
PS - Amy is so sweet, she brought Popsicles for us at work today! What a nice friend! Thanks Amy!




7 comments:

amy said...

hmm a weekend bag is perfect for a trip to say, cannon beach no? :)

man you are a fast knitter. wow. do you sleep?

and you are welcome for the popsicles! of course with the store air conditioning they weren't essential, but hey it's summer!

That's my middle name said...

well.... I figured that would be a good end goal! Cannon Beach weekend is exactly what I was thinking! I do sleep.... just not always 8 hours. You've seen me knit, I'm pretty fast if I do say so myself.

Macoco said...

Oh sorry about the button. They were very pretty! But I do like the new ones too.

Barb said...

No more fluff for you! Sorry about your button loss, but you have some nice ones in the wings. Your shawl is very pretty too! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Come to England if you're too hot! We have had rain on and off for weeks and yesterday several rivers overflowed. People were stuck overnight on the M5 motorway and Stratford on Avon is flooded out!
BTW I love your Go with the Flow top but if I had to knit on size 1's I'd go mad or blind or both!!
Sue

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see how that bag is going to grow!

What a shame about those buttons! Did they just break or shatter? You can fix them if they just broke, there's an epoxy that works well. Love the sweater though!

Anonymous said...

Ooooo - sorry about the button loss - that hurts! The Koigu is quite pretty, though. :-) So how is progress on your walk going? Will you be blogging about it? :-)