Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Edward Archie Gowey

My father-in-law, Ed or "Papa" as my kids called him passed away this morning at 6:59 am. I was closer to him than I am my own father, and really a great model of what a father should be.

He and his wife, Donnie, would have celebrated their 60th anniversary next week. Wow. It's so hard to believe that they are both gone.

Ed was king of the silly songs - "you are my favorite chunk of cheese" was one that kept running through my head this morning as family gathered to say our last goodbyes before they took him to the funeral home. He also worked at the same job for either 54 or 55 years, as an accountant for Fisher Flour Mills - those in Seattle would know this as the family that also owns KOMO tv and of the famous fair scones.

He died peacefully and without pain, his blood pressure just got lower and lower- his heart was just too weak. He had suffered from dementia for the past 2 1/2 years or so, there were times he would know us, and other times he wouldn't. But he also had 6 children, children-in-law and 14 grandchildren and some of them with spouses to try and keep straight. As our kids were growing up, he would often pull one of us to the side and say how proud he was of how we were raising our family and how he himself had such a wonderful family.

Ed, you were and are so very loved by your entire family. You will be sorely missed, but I'm so glad you are at peace now and are home with Donnie.

Edward Archie Gowey b. 1-24-1924 d. 8-29-2007

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Good luck on your 3-day walk for Breast Cancer. A friend of mine did the walk in Chicago last year. I know how much time & effort it takes to prepare for it.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care.

Denise said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, he sounds like a wonderful man who was very loved. Take care.

(Denise from FT)

Naomi said...

Oh Ellen! I'm so sorry!

I found it very touching to hear that you were closer to him than your own father. It is a gift he came along with the Doug package!

I'm glad you have wonderful memories of him.

Although I have never met Doug please let him know I'm sending thoughts his way...and of course to your whole family.

It's always a comfort to know he transitioned peacefully! That, too, is a gift.

Take care!!!

Anonymous said...

Ellen, I'm so sorry for you family's loss. I know that you cared about him and know that your memories will be good ones. If there is anything you need, just let me know.

Tava said...

I'm so sorry Ellen. What a nice blog about him- I feel like I know him from reading it.